Welcome to my blog! Hope you enjoy reading it and do feel free to comment.


Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Words

After a few days, I’ll have completed 6 months of internship. Wow.


I think each department has its own catchword. I’ve heard them so often now, from so many people around, that I’ve begun to think it’s a part of normal vocabulary.


‘Arre yaar’, ‘kya re’, ‘sun na’ are few benign-looking terms. I have to now make conscious efforts to avoid using them.


When I was posted in surgery, everything and anything could be ‘mobilized’. “Aniruddha, aaj hamare unit ke AP ka birthday hai. Ek cake mobilize karna hai.” “Aniruddha, mere liye ek pen mobilize kar na.” “Exam ke liye patients mobilize karne hain.” “There is too much work. Ek aur intern ko mobilize karna padega.” “Kahin se toh tincture benzoin mobilize kar.” The list is endless. (I wonder what happens to the object that’s ‘mobilized’.)


Another pet peeve of mine is ‘stat’. I want an ABG stat. I want his electrolytes stat. Give him soda bicarb stat. Give me a pen stat. I want an IV line stat. Didn’t I tell you guys to do his workup stat?


Recently, I heard someone telling a nurse ‘double stat’. “Staff! Give that patient atropine double stat!” Phew. Some people are in real hurry.


Things were slightly better in medicine. ObGy is next. Another 6 months of nonsense.


Status: Very sad. My co-intern literally cried because of the ‘hyper’ me. I should’ve been better with her.

14 comments:

mgeek said...

Double stat! :-) ROTFL!!!

Unknown said...

congratulations on the completion of 6 months and good luck with remaining half!
I have been following your comic strip and you do it like a PRO!!

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

@ Kaushik: lol... I couldn't believe what i heard!

@ Misanthropist: Thanks! :)
Glad u liked it! :-)

Tele Jane said...

Appears you mobilized your co-intern's brain ! She had to cry stat !

Gud luck for the remaining half!
:-)

S.S. said...

heehhe.. docs n their lingo. I kinda enjoy them at times. :P but yea, repeated stats won't be that enjoyable when on work.

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

@ +J Thanks! :)

@ Chiya Yep. That too for no reason.

Sam said...

Wait until you meet the "moron" bais and the "tox" reggies in Obgy

A-Jester said...

Nice one man never knew the docs were so unprofessional at work

Ananya said...

V.funny...Moron is THE only word u get to hear in Gyn...everyone is a moron there...from patients to relatives to interns to seniors...just any1 qualfies...btw be nice to ur co-interns....u r at entirely at their mercy in gyn posting...if they turn out to be horrible u'll have a torrid time..

Ketan said...

All the best with next 6 months! :)

As people grow old they lose their obsession with statistics. ;)

Unknown said...

who is dat co intern?????????

Unknown said...

Is dat co intern so bad?????

swarup said...

hmmnn...sounds familiar.
wonder who s ur co intern...
oops..did i ask u to comment on my post..STAT!!

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

My co-intern was the same person who's now taking up surgery in KEM!