Welcome to my blog! Hope you enjoy reading it and do feel free to comment.


Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bummed!

.....................................................................................................................................................................
I have made an attempt to understand as to why ducks quack and not moo like a cow, but I cannot figure out why we have lectures in the afternoon; students can enjoy such a refreshing nap post-lunch.

Once, as usual, we were made to attend a lecture on histology at around 3 in the afternoon. The postprandial talk was supposed to be on certain superficial glands and none of us were curious to know which ones. The lecture was on in full swing and I was listening to the lecturer with great interest at least for the first 63 seconds.

All good things come to an end. I couldn’t take histology any more. After a heavy meal, circulation to my brain had drastically decreased…

…Half-way down, at 3:30, I woke up instantly when the lecturer pointed out to a student seated just in front and asked him what so-and-so gland secretes. Poor ‘ghasu’ couldn’t answer the question and simply stared back at her. However, she gave him a few hints to help him out. She was sure that he would be able to answer as it was very simple question. She waited patiently for 37 seconds.

I don’t know why, but whenever a student is asked a question, those sitting next to him/her feel breathless and edgy. Here again, I felt that the students sitting next to ghasu needed emergency tracheostomy. They were really distressed. Poor them!

Now the lecturer had enough. She was extremely annoyed and screamed at him, “See bum! arre SEE BUM!!!”

Obediently, I looked around, but I didn’t understand anything! Honestly, I was rather shocked at what she said. I thought for a while, but I still couldn’t make out any sense. What kind of a hint was this? See someone’s bum? Why on earth?! Does it have an answer etched on it? Or will it secrete something?

Meanwhile, I saw other batch-mates write that word in their book diligently. I had to stretch my neck forwards, sideways and in various angulations so that I could see what they are writing. A person sitting next to me rudely asked me if I was having a seizure disorder. I looked at him scornfully. That’s all I could do anyway.

At the end of the lecture, I asked a friend, “Hey, what was the question? What did the teacher ask ghasu?”

I did not ask my friend the meaning of “See-someone’s-bum”. Instead I changed my question to a less embarrassing one. Maybe he had understood everything and hence, he would be able to explain the correct sequence of events.

He coolly replied, “Arre she asked ghasu what is secreted by sebaceous glands and he could not even give such a simple answer, sebum!”

…I decided to slink away. I think i'm better off with cows and ducks. Phew!

2 comments:

Sam said...

oh youre better off with cows ducks and mother hens!
Nicely written.
I am hoping the next post won't be on See-men!

Modular Form said...

I know whose bum you were trying to see! naughty, naughty.. quack!