Welcome to my blog! Hope you enjoy reading it and do feel free to comment.


Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Real Treasure

....................................................................................................................................................................
In school, we tend to take friends for granted. We never realise how difficult it is to make friends with complete strangers – after all, we end up spending so much time with each other. It was for the first time in Ruparel (my junior college) that I suddenly felt how difficult it is to interact with people I don’t recognise.


I was the only one from my school to join Ruparel. This made me a bit apprehensive, but I didn’t pay much attention. Really speaking, I was bored of school life and looking forward to college. Soon, it was time for the first lecture and orientation by the principal. I remember this as if it were yesterday.


I was seated on the second bench on the left side. Harsh gave me company from Andheri station; I had met him in Ruparel earlier that month, at the time of admissions. He promptly sat next to me. We talked little, but didn’t bore each other. I thought he would know more people than I do and so, wouldn’t need my company. Of course, his ‘choke slam’ and ‘aye Haaaarsh, ye building chche, thaaro playground nathi!’ keeps us entertained.


Kunal and Sohail knew each other. They were in the same school. Kunal entered the class before Sohail and asked us if anyone else was occupying the seats beside us. On an average, each bench of Ruparel accommodates around 6-7 average healthy Indians. We had no problems with Kunal sitting next to us. Sohail sat elsewhere, on the right side, third bench I think (you can’t miss out his aristocracy, can you?). He had come later. They exchanged a ‘hello’; this sort of depressed me – am I the only loner out here?


Kunal seemed very talkative and came up with a new topic of discussion every now and then. In fact, he kept Harsh and me very busy with his controversial topics such as ‘ICSE is better than SSC’, ‘Biology sucks’, etc. Discussions turned into heated arguments. We screamed at the top of our voices to get our point across when all of a sudden a smart aleck excused himself.


“Hi, I’m Mohit!”


We didn’t ask him his name. We did not even reply to his gesture. His thick black jacket, gold necklace (!), broad wrist band and a French beard was rather scary (they called him Bappi Lahiri in school, I’m told).


“Can I sit here?”


Most welcome, there was enough place for three more. He was a part of the discussion too, but soon it was time to disperse.


Next day, Kunal, Harsh, Mohit and me, we were on the same bench. Sohail was feeling left out, he joined in. Chetan dropped in too, there was lot of place and a thin guy like him could easily fit. We had more discussions, more random talk. Chetan contributed his viewpoints rather calmly. His biking adventures and two-wheeled knowledge was a good topic of contention.


Gaurav was a rather late entry. Poplai, as we call him, was introduced to us by Chetan. He seemed a very happy-go-lucky guy and has a smile as broad as his stomach (sorry Popu, I gotta admit). It didn’t take long before we officially inducted him in our ‘second bench committee’. We loved his jolly nature and his narration of Bacardi/Kingfisher adventures.


Amit was always a last bencher and it was not before 12th that we inducted him too. He’s always been a latecomer. Can you beat this, he has just joined Orkut! Soon we were eight of us –
Harsh, Kunal, Chetan, Mohit, Gaurav, Amit, Sohail and me. I don’t know why, but Mohit prefers to call us ‘Shooting Stars’.


Then there were others too – Rohit, Sachi, Soumyadri, Neville, Vishaal, Nirali, Rahul, Rashmi, Vini, phew! The list is endless.


It’s been more than 5 years now; the eight of us have always been together (...ahem, without doubt, we’re all straight). We’ve shared each and every problem, crushes, journals, answer papers etc. We laughed on the same jokes, on the same people (low waist jeanswala, body builder), on the same teachers (remember Gawde? Shimpi?) and laughed aloud. We guided each other – in our careers, homework, love life (?), etc. We’ve had innumerable lunches together. None of us will ever forget – Canepy, Xeroxwala, ‘aye Gujarati!’, Toke Ma’am, Tapan and his ‘slapstick’ adventure, Mahajan’s lecture (aunty log, aunty log!), etc.


Today, as some of us are leaving this country for further studies, memories are refreshed. Over these years, Ruparel has given me the best of friends. The aim of this passage is simple – to relive those memories and remind its readers of similar experiences.


Surprising how life comes up with so many treats. Maybe some of you can dedicate a comment to such a similar friend(s). I’m sorry I’m late – Friendship day was nearly a week ago.

12 comments:

Dr.Mohit Garg said...

Alright, its 12:38 am that I get this message from Ani to read the autobiography of THE SHOOTING STARS-LIGHTYEARS AHEAD OF THE REST……I’ve been impatiently waiting for this blogpost ,visiting it again and again (now that’s how it reached the 1800 count quickly) As for comment on this post….I can write one longer than this post itself…..read on-

1) Bappi Lehari ?That came as a surprise, where did u get that from Ani ? I don’t remember,confirm from your source again from whom u were told….I WOULD’NT DRESS LIKE THAT TO SCHOOL OR KEEP A FRENCH BEARD BEING THE HEADBOY ?

2) The tag line is missing- LIGHTYEARS AHEAD OF THE REST, u could add that please……the name looks incomplete to me jiska namkaran maine kiya…

3) I still repent bunking Pashte’s lect when he gave computer game wizard TAPAN ,the most famous slap in ruparel history……

4) Other characters like hunter,gujju gang,mavali.etc are missing…..also missing is the reference of the thing we usually laugh over again and again….sohail’aaj tune white underwear pehnaa hai naa ?

GREAT ARTICLE OVERALL,GOT ME BACK TO THOSE OLD RUPAREL DAYS WHICH WERE THE BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE COZ I FOUND MY FRIENDS FOR LIFE-THE REAL TREASURE AS ANI SAYS…..memories refreshed as if it was just yesterday…….

ANI ,LAST THING ,REMEMBER-----ICSE IS BETTER THAN SSC …..THE DEBATE CONTINUES……….

Unknown said...

Yes Ani truly "THE REAL TREASURE". Those were really the best days of my life... Frankly speaking after securing an admission into Ruparel (my junior college) I was happy, but also seriously worried about, "How am I gonna get a friend? in a college full of book worms." But thanks god for answering my question in the most wonderful way...

While reading through all these wonderful memories it really felt as if everything happened yesterday. To add to the memories...

Remember Ani me saying Pashte Sir (Our Hindi Professor).... "Sir Aap Gadhe Ho" and the whole class started laughing, that too in his first lecture... hahaha... Well it was just that i was asking him about the saying... why do we insult donkeys while mentioning a stupid person as a gaadha...

I still cant stop laughing the way we had bunked that English lecture... Oh boy just imagine Popu and Mohit (our heavy weight champions, guys don't kill me for this) jumping out of the class windows into the corridor when the lecture was going on... Then me running out of the classroom when the Prof. turned towards the blackboard... Hahahahahaha.... i still cant stop laughing...

Thanks Ani once again for the wonderful article... truly "The Real Treasure"...

Anonymous said...

yaadon ki barat leke aaya hai tera ye blog.didn't know much of the stuff,but it was so beautifully expressed that i could live ur emotions!!

keep expressing!!
all the best!!

Amit Jain

mgeek said...

"...(...ahem, without doubt, we’re all straight)..." - ROTFL

Unknown said...

More often than not most of us always realize the importance of something when we dont have it at our disposal. Its been hardly a fortnight..but you know what guys, that CD has turned out to be the best present...It helped me relive,regale those fabulous memories...and now with this blog ani..u've gone down the memory lane and painted a picture of the past so distinct that it does not seem lyk 5 yrs at all....I kno 1 thing for sure guys...I kno whom to fall back on...I really do....
--MISS you'll...!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey great article overall.

Though I was the last one to join the college i never felt left out. I never thought that i would make friends whom I even meet today. Having come From Jaihind I must admit that on the first day in the college I thought that I will have to be in the middle of a bunch of geeks. But you my friends were the ones to make me comfortable and today I thank god that I was sent to Ruparel, as i found friends like you.

It does feel like all this happened just yesterday, but my friends life goes on. I think that we should always make it a Point to meet and make New Memories like these that we have treasured. Hoping That our bond stays as strong as it is today.
Regaurds,
Gaurav

Ananya said...

I remember u pyschos sitting on the first bench rite in front o the teachers' desk...my attention was drawn to u 'coz of Mohit...i loathed ur hindi div II and was glad to finally move out to electronics(V)- there were a lot of familiar ICSE faces there:-) But i had a lot of friends from ur div-vini,the gujju grp, etc...but the blog was a good read..brought back memories of ruparel...inspiring me to write one too(but after exms):-)

Sam said...

i hated my junior college.
i am glad you enjoyed yours.
Nice mammaries u choose to share with everone though.
thats all i want to say.

Modular Form said...

no good mammaries at all in my case - that's why i have no blog. this life is suffocating and i want to go somewhere far away... anyway, it was nice to read the brighter side from ur college days...

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

Hey, it was fun reading comments guys!

@ Mohit: There were numerous such incidents which i haven't mentioned.. you can post them up when u have the time.. let us all know the link then..

@ Chetan: Hey I remember all that! It was so much fun!
Really funny...

@ Amit: Ya Amit, you missed the fun initially...

@ Harsh and Gaurav: Hey comeon, don't be so emotional!

@ Sam and Ashwin: Surprising...

@ Ananya: "my attention was drawn to u 'coz of Mohit..." ahem... kya chalu hai?

I dint know everyone would get so nostalgic, good i inspired a few (read: ananya) to write something more about good old days.

(Psst: Kunal, U dint comment on time!)

Sumedh said...

Well, Ruparel hasn't changed much over 3 years, has it! I remember I've jumped out of class with a bunch of people too! We had some atrocious folk for English and Biology... people who could not spell, let alone teach! The famous Bondse, MP Shimpi, Chavan for Chemistry. The list is endless.

I liked Ruparel much in the same way as you and your friends... I was pleasantly surprised to find a group of fun-loving people who were not reading for exams all the time.

A few more comments:
You lost credibility about the straight group thing when one of your friends let out "sohail aaj tune white underwear pehnaa hai naa?" :D

ICSE better than SSC... huh? why was this a controversy? Axiom, my friend... axiom.

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

@ Sumedh: Haha! I'm glad you raked up the topic of 'atrocious folks'! There were tons of such people in physics too! Remember the female with hyperactive neck muscles?!

And no, i still have the credibility about the straight group! The sentence about the underwear was blurted out by someone else, not belonging to our group!

Well, about ICSE, i think it sucks. And that is the final word. Ahem.